How to Manage Pests
UC Guide to Healthy Lawns
Planting and management tips for tall fescue
- Mow high and infrequently.
- Mow at 1.5 - 3 inches.
- Mowing lower than 1.5 inches can cause thinning.
- Fertilize using 3 - 6 lbs. nitrogen/1000 sq. ft. per year during the
period of active growth (March - June; September - December).
- Plant with seed or sod.
- If seeding, seed at 8 - 10 lbs. seed/1000 sq. ft.
- Tall fescue requires deep, infrequent, moderate to high amounts of
- The extensive root system allows it to survive periods of drought.
- Cannot be mowed too close (less than 1.5 inches)
For more information, see the following sections: