How to Manage Pests
UC Guide to Healthy Lawns
Planting and management tips for zoysiagrass
- Mow fairly low at 0.5 - 1 inch.
- Vertical mowing is needed periodically to reduce excessive thatch and
- Fertilize using 2 - 4 lbs. nitrogen/1000 sq. ft. per year during the
period of active growth (April - October).
- Plant by sprigs or sod.
- Plant 4 - 6 bushels of stolons/1000 sq. ft.
- Water infrequently to encourage a healthy root system.
- Avoid frequent shallow watering that results in shallow roots.
- Susceptible to nematodes
- Very slow establishment rate when plugged
- Produces excessive thatch (mat)
- Susceptible to scalping is not
- Dormant in winter
For more information, see the following sections: