How to Manage Pests
UC Guide to Healthy Lawns
Planting and management tips for St. Augustinegrass
- Mow at 1 - 2 inches.
- If St. Augustinegrass is mowed too low, weeds can invade.
- Fertilize using 4 lbs. nitrogen/1000 sq. ft. per year during the period
of active growth (March - October).
- Iron is frequently needed as a fertilizer supplement.
- Seed is not available commercially.
- Use sod or plant 3 - 5 bushels stolons/1000 sq. ft.
- Water every 3 - 6 days to encourage a healthy deep root system.
For more information, see the following sections: