How to Manage Pests
UC Guide to Healthy Lawns
Planting and management tips for kikuyugrass
- Mow frequently.
- Mow at 1 - 1.5 inches.
- Mowing can be difficult because of the coarse nature and thatch development
of the species.
- Fertilize using 2 lbs. nitrogen/1000 sq. ft. per year during the period
of active growth (February - November).
- Limit fertilization during high temperature summer months.
- Water deep and infrequently.
- Kikuyugrass can recover from drought.
- Scalped if not mowed frequently
- Produces heavy thatch
- Dormant (semi-dormant) in winter
For more information, see the following sections: