How to Manage Pests
UC Guide to Healthy Lawns
Planting and management tips for Kentucky bluegrass
- Mow at 1.5 - 2.5 inches.
- For optimum performance, mow relatively high, especially during the
- Fertilize using 4 - 6 lbs. nitrogen/1000 sq. ft. per year during the
period of active growth (end of February - end of May; October - November).
- Plant with seed or use sod.
- If seeding, seed at 2 - 3 lbs. seed/1000 sq. ft.
- Water frequently, every 1 - 3 days during the summer because of the
shallow root system.
- Susceptible to most turfgrass diseases and insects
- Low drought tolerance
For more information, see the following sections: