How to Manage Pests
UC Guide to Healthy Lawns
Planting and management tips for hard fescue
- Leave lawn unmowed to form a soft ground cover.
- If mowed, mow high at 1.5 - 2.5 inches.
- Fertilize using no more than 2 lbs. nitrogen/1000 sq. ft.
per year during the period of active growth
(March - June; October - December).
- Seed at 5 lbs. seed/1000 sq. ft.
- Water infrequently and deep.
- Summer irrigation is required if hard fescue is grown as
a turf or ground cover and a green color is desired.
- Medium susceptibility to turfgrass diseases
- Low heat tolerance
- Not adapted to close mowing
- Low traffic tolerance
For more information, see the following sections: