How to Manage Pests
UC Guide to Healthy Lawns
Planting and management tips for annual ryegrass
- Mow at 1.5 - 2 inches.
- In spring as warm-season grasses
come out of dormancy, gradually reduce the height of the ryegrass by
it more closely and more often to encourage spring growth of
- Fertilize using 1 - 2 lbs. nitrogen/1000 sq. ft.
per year during the period of
active growth (October - May).
- Seed at 7 - 9 lbs. seed/1000 sq. ft.
- Water regularly if rain is absent.
- In spring, water deeply and less often
to encourage the growth of warm-season
grasses coming out of dormancy.
- Annual habit of growth; not for use as a permanent lawn
For more information, see the following sections: