New lawns require intensive management. Whether your lawn was seeded,
sodded, or started from sprigs, plugs, or stolons, it is important
to provide care while the grass is developing and becoming established.
Special management requirements for newly established lawns include:
- Frequent and light irrigation
when the root system is growing
- Special care when mowing for the first
- Limiting traffic for the first few weeks
Once your lawn is established, apply nitrogen fertilizer:
- about 6 weeks after planting sod, sprigs, stolons, or plugs
- about 4 - 6 weeks after germination for seeded lawns
By providing proper care early on, you can establish a healthy
lawn with few problems.
What's included in this section?