How to Manage Pests
Key to Identifying Common Household Ants
An introduction to ants
In this tutorial, you will learn how to identify and manage common
household ants. The tutorial also includes some basic ant anatomy
- Ants belong to the insect order Hymenoptera and are close
relatives of bees and wasps.
- More than 12,000 species occur throughout the world.
- 200 species occur in California, but fewer than a dozen
are important pests.
- Ants are common pests in homes, restaurants, hospitals,
- Ants enter buildings seeking shelter, food, and water.
- Established ant colonies are difficult to control.
- Class: Insectainsects
- Order: Hymenopterabees, wasps, ants
- Family: Formicidaeants
- Subfamilies: Dolichoderinae, Formicinae, Myrmicinae
See also, ant identification and biology
and life cycle.