Pest Management Guidelines

Special Weed Problems

(Reviewed 1/09, updated 9/12)

In this Guideline: More about weeds in carrot:


Sowthistle, little mallow, and nightshade are annual weeds that are difficult to control in carrots. The registered herbicides will not control these weeds very well. Avoid growing carrot crops in fields known to be heavily infested with these weeds.


Nutsedge is a serious weed in spring- and summer-planted crops. Yellow and purple nutsedge are perennial weeds that reproduce from underground tubers, which can survive for several years in the soil. Each tuber contains several buds that are capable of producing plants. Only one bud at a time germinates to form a new plant; however, if that bud is destroyed by cultivation or an herbicide, then a new bud is activated. Control is best achieved by continuous cultivation during a summer fallow period or by rotating to crops where effective herbicide and cultural control methods can be used. For fall-planted carrots, plant after October 15 to avoid serious yield loss in carrots from competition by nutsedges. Glyphosate and metam sodium provide partial control prior to planting. Linuron and S-metalachlor provide partial control of yellow nutsedge during the production season.



[UC Peer Reviewed]

UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines: Carrot
UC ANR Publication 3438

  • R. F. Smith, UC Cooperative Extension, Monterey County
  • J. Nunez, UC Cooperative Extension, Kern County
Acknowledgment for contributions to Weeds:
  • C. E. Bell, UC Cooperative Extension, San Diego County
  • G. J. Poole, UC Cooperative Extension, Los Angeles County

Top of page

Statewide IPM Program, Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of California
All contents copyright © 2017 The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

For noncommercial purposes only, any Web site may link directly to this page. FOR ALL OTHER USES or more information, read Legal Notices. Unfortunately, we cannot provide individual solutions to specific pest problems. See our Home page, or in the U.S., contact your local Cooperative Extension office for assistance.

Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of California

Accessibility   Contact webmaster.